Whitetail Deer Hunting

Whitetail Hunting Thoughts and Recollections. Deer hunting pictures, stories, tips, advice.

Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

My First Blog

Well folks, this is my first blog ever. Thought I would dedicate this blog to whitetail deer hunting, something I like to obsess about.

I am a southern Michigan resident, though I have also lived and hunted deer in Ohio and North Carolina. Bow hunting season here in Michigan starts October 1. I have access to some prime hunting farmland (private land). I also hunt public land at times, to mix things up and to try to outsmart some highly pressured deer. The private land that I hunt is about 300 acres in Hillsdale county, in basically 3 different parcels. 80, 80, and 120 acres. It is all good hunting.

The 120 acre parcel consists of a home site, about 40 acres of woods, about 5 acres of overgrown pasture, and about 60 or so acres of crops (corn/soybeans). The pasture is really overgrown, with tall grasses, shrubs, and small trees. It is a beautiful bedding area for deer. I typically do not enter it. I leave it as a sanctuary, though I hunt the edges of it hard. I have a couple of sturdy metal ladder stands in the woods on this parcel, one near where the woods meets the above-mentioned bedding area, and the other in a travel corridor in the woods. Both stands are consistent producers, especially during the rut.

I have been working hard creating some ground blinds, with the intent of having a few more spots to bow hunt from, so as to avoid using my best spots until the rut.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home