Whitetail Deer Hunting

Whitetail Hunting Thoughts and Recollections. Deer hunting pictures, stories, tips, advice.

Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Friday, October 07, 2005

October 6 Bow Hunt

Well, I got out again last night. This time I tried a spot on some public land near my house. I have found that most hunters on this public land flock to the food sources (there are corn and beans planted) I have had a couple of bad experiences with rude hunters, so I now seek out areas devoid of hunters, even if it means hunting a spot with a low likelihood of seeing deer.

I remembered a spot where a small marsh and a small lake come fairly close together. The marsh has some pretty nice oaks on the edge, and I thought maybe the area between the marsh and the lake would act like a funnel for deer moving through. Also, the vegetation on the edge of the lake looked like it would be pretty good browse. But I also remembered that there was very little deer sign. But the weather was cool, my hunting gear was already in my truck, and it was right on my way home from work.

So I parked and changed clothes in the small parking areas, and nobody was there but me. I walked in and sat on a 5 gallon pail. I trimmed a couple of narrow shooting lanes, and I was sitting in some pretty thick stuff. I faced into the wind and relaxed.

I didn't see a deer. (or a squirrel either, which is odd) Didn't see any sign at all either. My three year old daughter told me "The deer were probably behind you." I told her it wouldn't be the first time. But I will say what the area lacks in deer it makes up for in geese. Had Canadian honkers flying around the whole time, alternating between landing in the lake and flying around. Should have been goose hunting I guess. (it is goose season too)

Funny, though, the area I hunted looks like it would hold some deer and there are deer in the area. I can only theorize that it gets too much human activity. I think that a lot of people walk and ride bikes in there for exercise outside of hunting season. Has some pretty good trails. Maybe that keeps the deer away. Might be worth another look later in the season. Could be a retreat for deer when the pressure is on. Maybe I will check it out again in December with a muzzleloader...

I might get out tomorrow afternoon. If so, I will hunt the private land I have permission on in Hillsdale county. Have a little spot in mind on the edge of a fairly large marsh smack dab in the middle of a bean field. I cleared out a spot and cut shooting lanes back in August. Could catch something coming out to eat. I still have meat from last year, so I won't shoot at anything but a mature buck. (and I may even let them walk) Bottom line: I plan to be really picky this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home