Whitetail Deer Hunting

Whitetail Hunting Thoughts and Recollections. Deer hunting pictures, stories, tips, advice.

Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Sunday, October 09, 2005

October 9 Bow Hunt

Well, I got out this evening. I didn't hunt where I had planned to hunt, though. The spot I was planning on hunting was a marshy area surrounded by beans. But when I got there the beans were cut. Deer still come out to feed after the beans are cut, but I just decided to try a different spot.

I hunted a stand in between two bedding areas, bordered on one side by a cut bean field. I got in the stand about 4:00PM. It was really dry, so the leaves were really crunchy. Heard a lot of noise from squirrels. About 6:30 saw a couple of raccoons moving through. Very soon after that I started seeing deer. First I saw a couple moving through about 50 yards away. They looked like young deer. Not too much later a doe and two fawns immediately followed by another doe came right by my stand. They all passed broadside at 15 yards. But they were downwind, and the doe in the rear was bound and determined to bust me. She sniffed and sniffed. Then head-bobbed. Then sniffed. She circled my stand. This went on for about 20 minutes. The entire time I was standing with my bow in hand ready to draw in case a buck appeared. But I couldn't move or she would bust me. I was getting tired from the way I was standing, and my left arm was starting to shake. But I held still, and eventually she went away without blowing an alarm.

By that time it was too dark to shoot. But then a larger deer came through by itself. I suspect that it was a buck, but it was too dark for me to tell for sure. Then another lone deer came from the other direction. Again, I suspect that it was a buck, but who really knows.

I waited until I didn't hear deer anywhere near me, then I snuck out. I really have to be careful about overhunting this spot. It is a great rut spot, if it is left alone. I may stay away for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home